Thursday, April 23, 2009

100,000 and counting

Today at 8 a.m. somewhere in Johnson Creek driving along Hwy 26, with The New Pornographers playing on my stereo, the 3 (my car) hit 100,000 miles. The big milestone came just 3 years, 10 months and 23 days after buying my car. Together the 3 and I have been on quite the adventure. Hundreds to thousands of trips back and forth between Milwaukee and Fort Atkinson, hundreds of trips between Milwaukee and LaGrange/Chicago, two trips to Louisville, Ky. and all over the state of Wisconsin. My original Illinois plates (KIME K8) still reside inside the 3. I just recently moved them from under the driver's seat to tucked nicely in the pocket behind the driver's seat, comfortably next to the Jim Bean license plate dad brought me back from the Jim Bean distillery. We've seen our fair share of problems too. I remember the first scratch the 3 got. I was going to Sarah's place when she lived on Kane. It was super dark out and raining. I was parrallel parking on the east side of Farwell. There's a tiny nick on the back bumper from where I hit the car behind me. The next sent of scratches are along the trunk. These lovely specs of yellow are from the 102.1 scooter we tried to fit in my trunk when Katie was moving to Knoxville. After much shoving and some love taps, we thankfully gave up and the scooter didn't find a home with me. There's some hail damage on the hood from when I lived in Wauwatosa and had to park outside.

We've shared some pretty intense winters together too, me and the 3. Let's not forget the blizzard of 2006. I quickly learned the 3 was not built for Milwaukee winters, but we've made it through. A few more bad winters followed, but I was more prepared. A shovel and an emergency kit (never used, knock on wood) have found a permanent home in the 3's trunk. Not wanting their daughter to get stuck in the snow again, my parents gave me some tread things that also have a permanent home in the trunk. The most recent adventure in our love hate relationship came last week when I brought 3 in for her 90,000 mile check up with Mazda. Just $1,450 later I hope she appreciates all I've done for her. I thought I was showing her enough attention, but I guess I was wrong. I promise to treat you even better, 3.

With recently new tires, new windshield wipers, new rear breaks, a fixed front passenger side wheel, the 3 and me are set for at least another 50,000 miles.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I still think about that stupid scooter and feel bad for what it did to your car :(

Kim Schmidt said...

Well as long as you feel bad about it :)

Donna said...

You are my car hero! My goal is to keep my car for at least as many miles as you now have.