Friday, February 08, 2008

Snow, snow go away...but don't come again some other day

Today in the Journal-Sentinel there was a story about the exceptionally snowy winter we've experienced this season. Having not lived under a rock for the past two and a half months, I was aware of the fact that we had gotten a lot, A LOT, of snow. However, I was really surprised when I read this. Milwaukee has been bombed with 65.7 inches of snow this winter. That's twice as much as the average of 33 inches, and last year at this time we had only gotten a measly 22 inches. Let's put this into perspective. If we hadn't been blessed with a few unseasonably warm days, the occasional sunshine and some spots of rain, the snow would be an inch above my head. And that's if it wasn't plowed at all. I can only imagine what the height of snow hills would be.

If the latest pounding of an unbearable amount of snow wasn't hard enough, temperatures are about to plummet. Tomorrow it's back to the frigid single digits we experienced a few weeks ago, and once again with wind chills falling into double digit subzero numbers. That's a lot of stress on the human body. Snow, blizzard conditions, rain, sleet, hail, tornadoes, sunshine and temps in the 50s: we've seen it all this winter.

I've never been more ready for winter to be over in my entire life. Maybe I sound like I'm being over dramatic, but you know what? I don't really care. I'm ready to replace the shovel in my trunk with a cooler. I'm ready for it to be unbearably hot in the apartment instead of unbearably cold. I am ready for summer.