Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When I organize a marathon...

I hate large crowds. Hate them. I don't do well in them. I require an extraordinary personal space bubble. For example, I nearly passed out at the first concert I ever went to and had to be lifted over the security fence by one of the guards to go sit on the fire escape and get some air. Or how about this one: I've been known to have a panic attack in Walmart on New Year's Day. Full buses, subways and elevators make me uncomfortable. I think you get my point. Honestly, it's amazing I've made it nearly 26 years. That being said, it took a lot for me to spend the day in Chicago on Sunday to watch Mike and Steve run the marathon. Now of course, a few million people weren't going to stop me from watching my baby brother run his first marathon. However, just being a spectator was a challenge in and of itself. (Note, obviously not even a fraction of the challenge Mike faced, but he knows I'm not exaggerating my problems with big crowds.) This was the second time I went down to cheer for a sibling in the Chicago Marathon, and some how it seems Mike and I avoided a lot of the crowds when we watched Meg run a few years ago. However, this year Mom, Meg and I somehow were always down in the trenches of the crowd. I would never want the crowd to be smaller at something like this. These people are running 26.2 miles, and for the last two years that's been 26.2 miles in excruciating heat, particularly for an October morning. They need the million or so people lining the streets. I would need them too. However, there are some common courtesies that should be respected by all spectators to make the experience better for everyone involved - runners and fellow spectators alike.

Bikes: Normally, I would be in full support of people choosing to get around town on their bike over driving. It's good for the earth and good for the body. Everybody wins. However, this is not the case when you are watching a marathon with a large crowd. While standing at the turn right before the halfway point with at least a hundred other people, it came to my attention that no one was standing right up against the guard rail. Why you ask? Well, there were three bikes leaning up against it taking up what probably would have been the space occupied by a three deep crowd of people. That's a good six more people that could have had a better spot. What's worse than just the fact that they were there is the fact that the owners saw their loved ones run by before most of the crowd. So what did they do? Not wait politely for the crowd to thin. They shoved their way through piles of people, bikes in toe. The only upside to this entire situation was that I eventually squeezed my way up to the front of the group, just in time to see Mike run passed. Later near the finish, the crowds were even larger as everyone was making their way back to meet their runners. At some points the sidewalks were jam packed with people and no one was going anywhere. Of course, there were also people with their bikes making the situation worse.

Smoking: What are you kidding me? You are going to light your cigarette/cigar/joint (yes I did smell it) along the course of a marathon where people are running their hearts out, gasping for air. Just what they need is some nice second hand smoke to inhale. Then there is that group of a million people you are standing in as if you were all smooshed into a sardine can. I don't really care if you smoke. You know you are killing yourself. It's addictive; I get it. Just have some decency and common courtesy and go somewhere else or chew some nicorett until the race is done.

Babies: Little Tommy who is 4 or younger is not going to remember watching daddy/mommy/aunt Suzy/the guy down the street run the Chicago Marathon in 2008. The problem with bringing little Tommy: the stroller and all the other equipment involved in lugging around a kid all day. The problem with the strollers is exactly the same as the problem with bikes. There simply is no room for them with this mass amount of people. Plus, no kid can last that long. All of them are either going to end up tired and/or hungry and as a result of both of those, crabby. You'll probably be crabby then too. Leave the kids at home folks.

Dogs:I can't tell you how many dogs I nearly stepped on or tripped over on Sunday. They also get in the way of the crowd. And I'm going to guess all of you proud dog owners out there didn't pick up your "baby's" poo. But, that's a rant for another post.

Regardless of how insane the crowd made me, it was an amazing experience to see Mike run for the first time (and Steve again). His dedication, endurance and desire are an inspiration. I can't even begin to put into words just how proud I am of my baby brother.