Sunday, March 05, 2006

The solitary life, Scientology and Sesame Street

It's always nice to have visitors. It makes living alone a little bit more thrilling. However, it also makes you realize just how happy you are to be living alone. For the first time in about a month I didn't have anyone staying with me for the weekend. Although I enjoyed all of my visitors, it was so nice and relaxing to just be here alone. Yesterday after coming off from the Marquette basketball game and lunch I had the chance for the first time in a while to just sit and relax. The previous weekends were relaxing to an extent, but really just weren't the same. I turned on some Bob Dylan and sat down on my couch with some popcorn and the latest issue of Rolling Stone. It was really quite nice.

In the issue, there is an article about Scientology. Knowing really very little, other than I think it's crazy, I decided to read the article and learn a little bit about the religion. Although I didn't finish it because it was just getting too long and I was getting restless (I am part of the MTV generation after all), I did gain a better understanding of the religion. However, I do still think they are a bunch of nut jobs. Children that are raised in Scientology are some what excused, as they were born into it and don't know any better. The same could be said about me as a Catholic I suppose. However, these people who are choosing this path as adults are just plain crazy. Only the highest levels Scientologist, from what I understand, know the full "story" and belief structure of the religion. Plus, it costs like an arm and a leg to be a fully practicing member. It's going to take a lot more to convince me on this one.

Sidenote: It's not so much the MTV generation that has this short attention span and needs the flashy colors and scene changes. Really, it is the Sesame Street generation. The thought behind Sesame Street was that kids need these short snipits to keep their attention. If a segment goes to long, they get bored and disinterested. I don't doubt this is true, in fact I think Sesame Street has done wonders. After all, I can count to 10 in Spanish. The problem is that so many things now have this same format. And people wonder why there are so many kids with ADD, but that's a whole different rant.